Journey to a Green Card

Yesterday was a big day after waiting almost two years for a green card. It was surreal to finally be sitting in that waiting room together for our Adjustment of Status interview.



Our Immigration Timeline


March 16, 2019 – Married in Saskatoon

At this point, we were told that the CR-1 (consular processing for a green card) would take 8-10 months. 


April 19, 2019 - Filed I-130 Petition

This is the first step. Zach files this petition to establish our relationship through marriage. The approval of this petition allows me to apply for permanent residency. 


October 2, 2019 – I-130 Approved

At the time, we thought we were passed the biggest hurdle and we assumed that we were near the end of the process. Our petition would now be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) where I would apply for a CR-1 visa. They would “Documentarily Qualify” my submission and then forward our case to the Montreal Consulate to schedule an interview. 


November 14, 2019 – NVC received case from USCIS. 

We were now able to submit documents (birth certificate, passport, police certificate, etc.) for the visa application. Zach also needed to fill out an affidavit of support with evidence, stating that he would be able to support me throughout the process and while in the US. 


November 21, 2019 – We submitted application and documents to NVC online


January 15, 2020 – Request for Evidence (RFE)

This was a difficult hurdle in the process. I had made a mistake on a couple document submissions and needed to acquire new documents and resubmit. We’d waited almost 2 months for NVC to review application and needing to resubmit evidence meant starting that wait over.


January 28, 2020 – Response to RFE

I resubmitted those 2 documents. The waiting game began again…


March 11, 2020 – Entered the US to visit Zach for 6 weeks

The day I was flying to see Zach, WHO declared the Covid-19 Pandemic. Within a couple days, the US was beginning to shut down. At this point, we didn’t consider the possibility of it impacting our immigration journey. 


April 6, 2020 – Documentarily Qualified at NVC

This means that all of our documents were accepted at NVC and we are ready for an interview at the Montreal consulate. Even before Covid, the wait for an interview at Montreal was several months and we would expect to be interview late summer/early fall. However, many people had interviews cancelled as things began to shut down. So the backlog at Montreal increased. 

 

When the US-Canada border closed and the consulates shut down, we had to start considering other options. I was in the US on a B-2 tourist visa and couldn’t stay in the US more than six months. I also had to consider past trips within the calendar year and subtract those from my allowed stay so that I didn’t risk an overstayed visa. At the end of May, we applied for a visa extension. This was an expensive mistake. We learned shortly after filing that the processing of these applications takes 7-9 months. So by the time you get approval or denial, you have already overstayed your visa. When we learned this, it started to make sense to consider applying for Adjustment of Status (AOS). This means applying to adjust my non-immigrant B-2 status to a permanent resident based on marriage. It was essentially abandoning the consular processing and starting over, apart from having an approved I-130. It meant me not being able to leave the US until I had approval. Estimates for AOS were long, but made more uncertain by the pandemic. But, it also meant continuing our immigration journey together and allowed for me to begin to settle into life here in the US. 

 

June 10, 2020 – Filed for Adjustment of Status and Request for Employment Authorization

July 17, 2020 – Received Notices of Action for both applications (acknowledging receipt by USCIS)

 

About mid-December, I received an interview notice for a January 11 interview in Montreal for the CR-1 visa consular processing. This came as a shock to us because we assumed that I was no longer eligible. The consulate stated that I could still attend and we started to make arrangements to do so because there had been no movement on the AOS application since July. However, there wasn’t enough time to quarantine for 2 weeks in Montreal before having the medical a week prior the interview. The consulate was able to reschedule me for January 25. We booked the medical, flights, and hotel. I planned to attend the interview and then return to Saskatchewan to wait for our 2 year anniversary. This would mean receiving a 10 year green card instead of a conditional 2 year. This would mean more long distance and travelling while pregnant, which is ill-advised during the pandemic. Surprisingly, the following week we received my biometrics appointment notice for the AOS. 

 

December 22, 2020 – Received letter for AOS biometrics appointment (fingerprinting and a picture)

January 7, 2021– Biometrics for AOS application

January 19, 2021 - Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' 

February 24, 2021 – Interview, New Card being produced


Zach was called in first for the interview and asked several basic relationship questions about when and where we met, what we did on our first date, when are where Zach proposed, where we got married, etc. He gave the interviewing officer some of our photos and a copy of the deed to our house. I was called in a few minutes later and sworn in. I then answered a few dozen yes/no questions from the I-485 Adjustment of Status application. The interviewer then asked me the same relationship questions that Zach had been asked. He then asked for my medical. There was some confusion about if it was valid based on when I had done it, but in the end, it was accepted! He told us that we would be approved!


I should receive my green card in the mail within the next couple weeks. Praise the Lord!

 

This journey to a green card was longer and more challenging than we anticipated. It is probably a good thing we were somewhat naïve at the beginning. It has definitely been a big part of the first two years of our marriage and it feels so good to be at the end. We are amazed by the timing of several things including the timing of my trip in March of last year and the timing of my biometrics appointment in January. What a blessing that the AOS interview happened only a month after my consular interview would have been! 

While waiting, we have been able to be together, buy a house, and start growing our little family. We appreciate everyone’s care for us during this journey and for the many prayers throughout. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call When You Start Bleeding